Thursday, August 4, 2011

Analysis of callups for the Mexico Team

So here is Klinsmann's team:

GK - GK - Howard, Hamid

Howard will get the start, Hamid is an interesting choice, he is only 20, goalie of the future perhaps?

DF-Bocanegra, Castillo, Chandler, Cherundolo, Goodson, Orozco Fiscal, Pearce, Ream

Boca and Dolo are the vets. Great to see Chandler in there, as stated earlier he is the RB of the future. At LB we have Castillo and Pearce. Ream and Goodson will be in the middle. I could see Boca playing the first half and being replaced by Ream in the second. Orozco Fiscal was nowhere near my radar, it will be interesting to see if he sees the field. He should play as a CB, even though he is only 5'11", he is very technically capable.

MF- Beckerman, Bradley, Clark, Edu, Jones, Shea, Torres

This was a bit of a head scratcher for me. Beckerman, Bradley, Clark, Edu, and Jones all occupy the same position on the field. Would have thought at least one of those guys would not be on this roster. Beckerman is probably in the running for best MLS defensive midfielder with Shalrie Joseph. Bradley needs to impress to improve his club situation. I have never forgiven Clark for what he did in the Ghana game...and I never will. Interesting inclusion of Edu, I thought he might get a rest after his match yesterday and with the club season coming up. Jones is German...nuff said. The surprise is the omission of Bedoya and Diskerud and Feilhaber, who would add more flexibility to the lineup than the stable of 5 D mids seen here. My guess (and hope) is we'll see both Diskerud and Bedoya called in for the Belgium friendly since they are European based and in the middle of their seasons. Feilhaber's exclusion does not bode well for his future with the USMNT, this is exactly the sort of game where he should be getting a look if he is in Klinsmann's plans.

I love the inclusion of Shea and Torres. Torres has the technical ability that has been lacking in the middle of the field and Shea could really be a difference maker on the left side.

F- Adu, Agudelo, Beasley, Buddle, Donovan

Five forwards called up? Landon Donovan listed as a forward? DaMarcus Beasley returns from exile? This makes me believe we might actually see the 4-4-2 or even possible a 4-3-3. I speculated yesterday that JK might bring LD in as a forward...just sayin'. Good to see Buddle in there, but he is not going to be an answer going forward for 2014 so I hope the other guys get more of the playing time. Beasley is a surprise to me too, but his speed and technical ability were keys to our run back in 2002. It has been a while since we have seen the same creativity he once had, but I haven't been following him since his fall from grace with BB. Adu and Agudelo are young and technically skilled, no surprise to see their names here, and I hope they get to see plenty of time on the field during the game.

Jurgen Klinsmann presumably laughing at my attempts to understand
what he's trying to do

Overall Impressions:
Not a huge shakeup, although every noteworthy Latin player except Herc Gomez got the call up. Fiscal's inclusion is one I don't think very many people saw coming. The inclusion of 5 forwards seems to suggest that a 4-5-1 is unlikely, especially considering Landon Donovan's inclusion in the list of forwards. I am excited to see if Klinsi will reveal anything about his tactics in the coming days...

1 comment:

  1. Good to see the posts back up again. Excited about the Klinnsman era and I am waiting to see if/how things change

    ReplyDelete